Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Liar Liar Pants on Fire

Mark Twain said it best " There are liars, dammed liars and statistics. I had the experience recently of visiting Progressive Hell, a city council meeting in a small liberal leaning northern CA city. The following is my letter to the editor to local newspapers regarding that experience. The arrogance of liberalism filled the air that evening. It is a stench I will not soon forget,


On 6-1-2010, I had the privilege of addressing the Benicia City Council. The City of Benicia was considering passing a resolution in opposition to the California Jobs Initiative which will place the new environmental law AB32 on hold until unemployment reaches levels below 5.5%. Many Californians, including myself, believe that the implementation of AB32 will place massive tax hikes and regulations on our state and will increase unemployment which is already in excess of 12%.

I must admit as I am a citizen of Vallejo and I really had no business speaking at a Benicia City Council meeting. However, I also feel the City of Benicia had no business weighing in on a state ballot initiative issue. I had no choice other than to publicly express my opposition to the resolution as I feel the implementation of AB32 will directly affect my ability to make a living.

The Mayor started the meeting stating how important it was to retain decorum and not to make arguments personal.
I gave a speech and quoted several sources including the Orange County Register and the New York Times. After myself and another conservative gave our speeches, the mayor stated, for the record, the we did not tell the truth and that she doubted one of my sources was actually the New York Times. I have provided links for all my sources included in my speech including the New York Times one at the bottom of this correspondence.

I am known as a man of integrity at work and in my public life. I was shocked at the mayor's comments. These comments would not be acceptable in the business environment in which I work. Just because you say is a person is not telling the truth with a smile and a smirk does not make it acceptable. In addition another Council member made a condescending statement concerning chemistry and CO2 emissions. I can assure you this graduate of West Virginia Institute of Technology hardly needs a lecture in chemistry. In fact, all scientists agree mankind creates CO2 emissions. The difference in opinion between scientists is in the amounts of CO2 thought to be produced by man and the overall effect on global temperatures.

It was a shame I did not get to quote or discuss one additional source that night. The Times of London stated the following in an article on 5-31-2010:


"Britain’s premier scientific institution, the Royal Society of Science, is being forced to review its statements on climate change after a rebellion by members who question mankind’s contribution to rising temperatures. The Royal Society has appointed a panel to rewrite the 350-year-old institution’s official position on global warming. It will publish a new “Guide to the Science of Climate Change” this summer. The society has been accused by 43 of its Fellows of refusing to accept dissenting views on climate change and exaggerating the degree of certainty that man-made emissions are the main cause.The society appears to have conceded that it needs to correct previous statements. A statement released by the Royal Society said: “Any public perception that science is somehow fully settled is wholly incorrect — there is always room for new observations, theories, measurements.”


The Royal Society of Science is equivalent to our National Academy of Science and they have admitted they do not have sufficient scientific data to make a definitive judgment on global warming. If they can not make such a judgment, then I doubt the Benicia City Council can. Unfortunately, the truth is often "inconvenient" and the Benicia City Council approved the resolution.

A Voice In The Wilderness

Source 1: Vallejo Times Herald- Rising oceans a threat- Tony Burchyns 3-18-2009
Source 2: Orange County Register- What to say to a global warming alarmist-Mark Landsbaum 2-12-2010
Source 3: Orange County Register- Why California firms move to Colorado Springs-Jan Norman 5-13-2010
Source 4: New York Times- Climate fears turn to doubts among Britons- Elisabeth Rosenthal- 5-23-2010
Source 5: The London Times- Rebel scientists force Royal Society to accept climate change skepticism-Ben Webster 5-31-2010

2 comments:

  1. I am proud to call you a friend Joey wish I could of been there to support you.

    ReplyDelete