Thursday, November 26, 2009

Two Minus Two Still Equals Zero

About a year ago we were in the tempest of an economic storm whose gale winds still blow. Many businesses have since experienced layoffs leaving the remaining workers having to work longer hours. For those lucky of us enough to still be working, there are no cost of living adjustments and with profit margins reduced we also all have to work harder just to keep the doors open. I and my cohorts at work are painfully aware that two minus two equals zero. Meaning if we make two dollars and spend two dollars we have zero remaining. That's OK fine in this economic environment.

This advanced mathematical concept is beyond the grasp of the University of California system. It seems with tax revenues being down the universities are getting less money and as a result are raising student fees substantially by 42%. This has led to protests and sit-ins and much weeping and gnashing of teeth on the students part. Do I feel their pain? absolutely. I also understand that costs need to be cut and revenues raised.

If you were over the university system-what would you do then? Well, first of all I would cut all unnecessary programs. Now you may ask what is unnecessary? art, music, English literature? No way! I would say these are all precious and must be protected.

You may ask what would you do to cut costs? I would cut academic programs which are inherently racist like African American ,Asian American and Latino American studies. I would also cut degree programs in feminism and gay lesbian transgendered studies, and yes Community Organizing. I could go through the various University of California college catalogs and using nothing but common sense would cut do-nothing classes and their instructors which add nothing but ignorance. I would take great glee and fire former 60's radical and US Communist Party Presidential candidate Angela Davis and keep three nontenured history professors in her stead.

How would I raise revenues then? My college education was largely funded on the taxation of natural resources. I would go before the legislature and beg for offshore drilling and the 100s of millions in tax revenues it would bring my institutions. I would arrange for power plants to be built on every campus for free electricity. And finally when the full fury of ignorance of the tree sitter crowd raised its ugly head in protest to my actions, I would show no mercy and would eviscerate them with all the media at my disposal.


Well that's not going to happen.

These fee hikes are representative of the disease of liberalism which infects the state of California. Programs and services are added with no thought as to tomorrow. The problem is passed to the next generation. Unfortunately the next generation is here now. This 42% fee increase is nothing but a tax on college students and their families. It's what liberals do. The students will bear debt that will leave them enslaved to the state. And that's what some people actually want.

The concept of Two Minus Two Equaling Zero is sadly way beyond the minds of those in charge of issuing advanced degrees in mathematics.

I suppose the students can still pick their protest signs back up for all the good it will do. And they will blame everyone but the liberals as they do it.

A Voice Crying in the Wilderness




No comments:

Post a Comment